A Brief History of Vale Park
Vale Park is a sloping area of land, situated in New Brighton, Wallasey in North East Wirral. The park also leads off onto the New Brighton Promenade, with a wonderful view of the River Mersey. Vale Park is owned by the Metropolitan Borough of Wirral's Department of Education & Cultural Services and its maintenance is the responsibility of the Parks and Open Spaces Section. The park is equidistant to Liscard and its neighbouring resort, New Brighton. A bus route operates close to the park and provides a nearby stop situated on Seabank Road close to the junction with Magazine Lane. The park has a small car park for families using the park's facilities, and another additional parking area for those with disabilities. The area of land now occupied by Vale Park was an estate called Liscard Vale this being the origin of the park's name.
Situated in Vale Park, Vale House (originally Liscard Vale House) was often described as a riverside villa. It was built in 1830, possibly by a cotton broker, in simple Regency style stucco rendered and painted, with fine glazed sashes, and low pitched roof. A front door with fanlight and moulded surround gave access to a south facing terrace.
In 1844 the property was purchased by Charles Holland J.P. and a large three storey extension was added to the east end to give more family accommodation. This was designed in a different style with a two storey splayed bay terminating in a pierced parapet and lead flat roof, steep pitched roofs and finished in brickwork.
The house has an historic association as the home of a trading family – the Holland’s’. Charles Holland JP travelled extensively as a “plant hunter” and many of the trees and shrubs he brought back were planted in the grounds. Some of these still thrive in Vale Park today. Holland Road, in the south of the appraisal area, was named as a mark of the family’s high standing in the locality..